The D&H Canal is a National Historic Landmark. Take a guided walk along the canal towpath adjoining the five High Falls locks (numbers 16 to 20). These locks were built in 1847, as part of a new route designed to accommodate increased traffic and larger canal boats. This section also includes a loading quay, still visible just past lock 16. The locks were constructed of Shawangunk conglomerate, an indigenous stone, and each measured 90’ long, 15’ wide, and 15’ deep, and provided an average change in elevation of 12.6’.