Join members of the White Plains Historical Society on Saturday, June 16th, for free tours of a Revolutionary era home that was at the center of the Battle of White Plains and served as George Washington's headquarters later in the war.
The Purdy House was built by Samuel Horton, an early settler, who remained in possession until after 1730, when Samuel Purdy purchased the house and 132 acres. The Battle of White Plains Monument Committee purchased the house in 1963, and repaired and restored old beams and shingles. In 1973, when the house moved to its present site on Park Avenue, the house was deeded to the City of White Plains.
The Jacob Purdy House has been source-documented as General Washington's Headquarters from July 23 to September 16, 1778. Historians also believe it to have been the General's Headquarters before the Chatterton Hill battle of October 28, 1776.