Celebrate and explore history the Western New York Genealogy Conference, a full-day event celebrating Western New York as a unique place of shared history and community. The event is hosted by the Western New York Genealogical Society (WNYGS) and the New York Genealogical & Biographical Society (NYG&B). Participants will:
• Attend informative, insightful, and engaging presentations that discuss research methods and strategies, statewide and regional resources, and local genealogical projects
• Network with genealogists, researchers, historians, as well as representatives from regional genealogical societies and repositories
• Participate in optional (pre and post) conference tours and events in and around Buffalo.
Designed for researchers of all experience levels, this two-track conference will include presentations by national experts Dr. Blaine Bettinger, D. Joshua Taylor, and Jane E. Wilcox among others. Scheduled programs are:
• Pathways from New England to New York [Taylor]
• Early Probate in New York: From Colonial Dutch and English to Statehood [Wilcox]
• A Tour of New York State Genealogical Research Repositories: The Best [Wilcox]
• Understanding and Using Fulton History [Hogan]
• Using Autosomal DNA to Explore Your Ancestry [Bettinger]
• Saving and Sharing Local Records: Community Case Studies [Lavery & Paprocki]
• The Future of Genealogy [Taylor]
Society Hall: Representatives from more than a dozen regional genealogical societies and NYS repositories will be on hand to provide information and answer questions from 10:00 a.m. - 2:45 p.m. (See the conference website for the current list of participating organizations.)
Conference Website: Full event details including program descriptions, speaker bios, links to online registration and forms, parking and hotel information, and optional event descriptions can be found on the WNYGS’ website.
Conference Registration: Seating is limited, and advanced registration is required. Full-day registration costs $45 for WNYGS and NYG&B members and $55 for non-members. (Meals are not included.) To register online, visit the NYG&B website at http://wnygs.org/WNYGC.html .
Optional Weekend Events: As an added bonus, the Society has partnered with local sites for optional pre and post conference tours and activities. Available events include:
Friday, October 6, 2017 (Pre-Conference)
• 2:00-4:00 p.m. Forest Lawn Cemetery and Margaret L. Wendt Archive and Resource Center (Buffalo, NY): "Archives Talk and Cemetery Trolley Tour" ($20)
• 6:00-10:00 p.m. Buffalo & Erie County Public Library (Buffalo, NY): Grosvenor Room Research Lock-In - "Understanding Regional Genealogy Research Resources & Strategies" (Free)
Sunday, October 8, 2017 (Post-Conference)
• 12:00-2:00 p.m. Buffalo History Museum (Buffalo, NY): "Resources Talk and Museum Tour" ($10)
• 3:00-5:00 p.m. Hull Family Home & Homestead (Lancaster, NY): "Pioneer Homestead Tour and Talk" ($10)
All tour proceeds will benefit the hosting charitable organization. Interested individuals must register directly with the venue. See conference website for complete registration information.