Women's History at the Vander Ende Onderdonk House

  • Ridgewood, New York City
  • Jun 21, 2020
  • Select dates
Add to Itinerary

Guided tour of the Onderdonk House, including the exhibit, "Womens Work - A History of Women from the Vander Ende Onderdon House". Includes a handout.

The Vander Ende-Onderdonk House, located in Ridgewood on the border of Queens and Brooklyn, is the oldest Dutch Colonial stone house in New York City. Peter Stuyvesant granted the land it sits on in the mid-seventeenth century, and by 1660, Hendrick Barents Smidt occupied a small house on the site. In 1709, Paulus Vander Ende of Flatbush purchased the farm and began construction of the current house. The building was a prominent marker in the 1769 settlement of the boundary dispute between Bushwick in Kings County and Newtown in Queens County.

During the 1820's, Adrian Onderdonk erected a small frame addition to the stone house immediately above the remnants of the foundation of the 1660 building. Its architectural features are typical of Dutch buildings in this period: a gambrel roof, Dutch doors, central hallway and double hung windows with shutters.

  • From: 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM
  • Admission: $5 for Adults, Free for Children under 12 with an adult, Free for Service members, Veterans and Members of the GRHS
  • 1820 Flushing Ave
    Ridgewood, NY 11385
  • 718 456 1776
  • Visit Site
  • Children Are Free: Yes
  • Wheelchair Accessible: Yes
  • PTH Weekend Event (6/20-21 & 10/10-12, 2020): Yes
  • Onderdonk House
View Map
What's Nearby