Founded in 1863 as the Long Island Historical Society. At that time, the City of Brooklyn was the commercial and cultural center of Long Island. Its four-story Queen Anne style building was completed in 1881 and was designed by architect George B. Post. Post's bold use of extensive terra cotta ornamentation on the façade, and innovative truss system to support the ceiling of the central library, designated one of NYC's interior landmarks and not to be missed, has long been revered by architectural historians. The building's masonry of unglazed terra cotta and repressed brick was the first building in New York City to use locally produced terra cotta. The Brooklyn Historical Society is a nationally recognized urban history center dedicated to preserving and encouraging the study of Brooklyn's extraordinary 400-year history.