In 1846 in the tiny hamlet known as Carmansville, northwest of the village of Harlem, Victor G. Audubon and John R. Morewood felt the need to have the services of the Episcopal Church in their own community. The first services were held in the parlor of the Morewood's home on the location that is today the southeast corner of 155th Street and St. Nicholas Avenue. In 1872, the Second Intercession church was built in stone at the corner of 158th Street and Grand Boulevard, now Broadway, however the parish soon became insolvent. The rector at the time knowing of Trinity Church's earlier plans eventually to build a chapel on their cemetery property uptown, began negotiations with Trinity Wall Street Church and Intercession become one of Trinity's chapels, and a new church was to be built on the cemetery land. The noted architect, Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue, was retained and given instructions to create what was to become his masterpiece and considered by many to be one of the finest examples of the Gothic Revival style.