The Eagleville Covered Bridge is one of four covered bridges still standing in Washington County. It is owned and maintained by the county and carries traffic across the Batten Kill. Of the other three bridges, one other is owned by Washington County, one is owned by Rensselaer and Washington Counties, and one – the Shushan Covered Bridge − is owned by the Town of
Built by Ephraim W. Clapp in 1858, this 100-foot-long, single span structure incorporates the Town lattice truss design patented on January 28, 1820, and again in 1835 by Ithiel Town of New Haven, Connecticut.
At least two unknown bridges at this crossing pre-date the present one. For the residents of Eagleville, the bridge made easy access across the river to Cambridge and Vermont. After 1852, those who wanted to catch a Delaware and Hudson Railroad passenger train, or ship their goods by freight, could travel south to the Cambridge depot or north-west to the Shushan depot.
Despite flood waters, wind and harsh winters, the bridge has staying power. In March of 1977, high water on the Batten Kill undermined the east abutment, dropping it into the river. In the nick of time, the county bridge crew diverted the river, saving the bridge. The bridge took such a twist when it went down, it was feared a great many treenails (pronounced “tunnels”) had sheared and timbers cracked. But Town’s lattice design proved to be resilient and flexible, as demonstrated by several trunnels driven out for inspection which showed no signs of distress. The repairs were made later that summer with lumber supplied by local sawyer, Roger Meyer, from clear spruce located in a paper company tract in the Adirondacks.
Over the decades, the Eagleville Covered Bridge has been re-sided, re-roofed and re-painted a number of times. In the 1940s, the Washington County paint scheme was venetian red with white portal trim. During the 2006-2007 rehabilitation, the bridge was once again returned to the venetian red color.