Fort Ontario State Historic Site

Address 1 E Fourth St
Oswego, NY 13126
Phone (315) 343-4711
Website Click Here
Hours mid-May to mid-Oct, Tues-Sun 10am-4:30pm
Themes Colonial History, Innovation & Commerce, Revolutionary War, War of 1812
Add to Itinerary   What's Nearby
 

Details

The first fortification to be located on the site of the current Fort Ontario was built by the British in 1755. Construction of a second British fort began in 1759, and the second Fort was destroyed in 1778 by American troops stationed at Fort Stanwix. Between 1839 and 1844, the U.S. Fort Ontario was built. Between 1944 and 1946, the Fort was used as a Holocaust refugee center, the only one of its kind in the country.

Loading Map

Amenities

General
  • Children Are Free:
  • Group Rates/Incentives Offered:
  • Wheelchair Accessible:
History
  • Haunted History:
  • Historic sites:
  • Military history:
  • Path Through History:
General
  • Senior Discount:
Path Through History Information
  • Brochures Maps:
  • Descriptive Signage:
  • Educational Programs:
  • Exhibits:
  • Gift Shop:
  • Official PTH Site:
  • Parking:
  • Restrooms:
  • Self Guided Tours:
  • Sites Dates Hours: mid-May to mid-Oct, Tues-Sun 10am-4:30pm
  • Wheelchair Accessible: