The village of Fort Plain was originally named for a military outpost in the Revolutionary War. After the Battle of Oriskany in 1777 the Mohawk Valley was virtually defenseless. During 1779, Fort Plain was rebuilt into a strong military outpost. The Fort Plain Museum & Historical Park features a Greek Revival building housing exhibits which include pre-Colonial, Revolutionary War, Erie Canal, and local community history. Outdoor exhibits include the original fort and blockhouse sites.