George Washington Bridge Little Red Lighthouse

Address 179th St
New York, NY 10022
Phone (212) 304-2365
Hours Call for schedule
Themes Canals & Transportation
Add to Itinerary   What's Nearby
 

Details

This landmark got its nickname from Hildegarde H. Swift's children's classic The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge. The 1880 lighthouse was moved to its present location in 1921 to aid navigation along the Hudson River. When the George Washington Bridge was completed in 1931, it overwhelmed the lighthouse, which was later decommissioned and threatened with demolition. Thousands of children who had loved Swift's book started a nationwide campaign that helped save the lighthouse, which is now open to the public.

Loading Map

Amenities

History
  • Lighthouses:
  • Path Through History:
Path Through History Information
  • Official PTH Site:
  • Sites Dates Hours: Call for schedule