Founded in 1964, the Rye Historical Society is located in the historic Square House c. 1730. Situated at the intersection of Purchase Street and the Boston Post Road, the Square House served as a tavern and inn during the mid - late 18th century. The building had several notable guests including John and Samuel Adams in 1774 and President George Washington in 1789. The Square House also served as the Municipal Hall for the Village of Rye - later the City of Rye from 1904-1964. In 1992, the Rye Historical Society acquired the Timothy Knapp House c. 1670, which is believed to be the oldest residential structure in Westchester County. In 2001, the house was opened as the Knapp House Archives and serves as the library and research facility for the Society. The collection of manuscripts, photographs, maps, and other documents are available to the public for research.