Originally built to be a movie palace, The Stanley opened on September 10, 1928 with 2,963 seats. In 1974 the Central New York Community Arts Council (a local nonprofit organization) acquired the property, upgraded all mechanical, electrical, and safety systems, and continued to make technical improvements. In 2006, The Stanley closed its doors and underwent a $20 million expansion project. Now the Stanly is a performance venue with movies and live productions. Tours are by appointment.